Our preps are our life line. The items we choose should be able to carry us, not only through difficult times, but perhaps through impossible times as well.
There is a reason why our ancestors relied so heavily upon essential kitchen items for their day-to-day survival, and it wasn’t because they wanted to make the best baked goods in the county.
The “make due or do without” philosophy transferred into their food sources as well. The answer as to why our ancestors stocked these items is versatility.
The following is a list of essential items that are very deserving of a space on your emergency food shelves:
1. Baking Soda - This is my favorite item to stock up on because it has so many darn uses!
Because the active ingredient (sodium bicarbonate) is an alkaline, it is a natural antacid.
- Dental care
- Electrolyte powder
- Emergency antiseptic
- Natural cleaner
- Cleans off rust
- Can be used in treating scalding, to prevent blistering and scarring. Cover the scalded area with a liberal layer of sodium bicarbonate and water paste and seek medical assistance.
- Can be applied to skin irritations that occur from poison oak, poison ivy and sumac.
2. Baking Powder - Baking soda is actually the primary component in baking powder, so it’s no surprise that pretty much anything you can do with baking soda, you can do with baking powder. Some additional uses include, but are not limited to:
- Eliminates odors
- Natural cleaning agent
- Draws out insect stings and jelly fish venom
- Keeps ants away from the house
3 ways to grow your own baking yeast.
- Leavening agent.
- Currently being studied as a natural cure for cancer.
- Making alcohol
- Nutritional supplement
- Assists diabetics in controlling their blood sugar level
- Helps control high cholesterol levels
- Is a natural flea control for pets
- Soothes sunburns
- Eliminated bad breath
- Natural facial toner
- Can be used as a fabric softener
- Is a natural hair cleaner/conditioner
- Cleaning product for the home
- Possess medicinal properties
- Great for use as a dry shampoo
- Burn treatment
- Treatment for insect bites
- Gets grease out of fabric
- Cleans windows
- Thickener for soups, sauces and gravies
- Sour cream
- Whipped topping
- Substitute for milk
- Facial wash